Printed on Mon Jul 04 2022 2:19:47 AM
At least 10 killed after building collapse in Iran
10 people have been killed and dozens more are thought to be trapped after an unfinished 10-storey building collapsed in southwest Iran, the Iranian Red Crescent said.
Rescue teams have pulled 35 people from the rubble of the 10-storey Metropol office block in Abadan, it added. Officials said the cause of the collapse was being investigated.
Local prosecutor Hamid Maranipour said both the Metropol's owner and the building contractor had been arrested.
Witnesses said the collapse, which happened at around 12:40 local time (08:10 GMT), was sudden. "I thought it was an earthquake at first," Ahmad, a shop owner, told the Associated Press.
The Iranian Red Crescent said 23 rescue teams from Abadan and neighboring cities rushed to the scene along with more than a dozen ambulances.
It was initially feared that at least 80 people were trapped in the rubble, but after several hours rescuers lowered the missing to "tens" of people.
Rescue teams have been working through the night to try and find victims still trapped under the rubble. The Mehr news agency said most of those who were trapped had been shopping on the ground floor of one of the finished parts of the building.
Read More: Colonel of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards shot dead