Printed on Fri Aug 12 2022 6:15:24 AM

At least 6 Cameroonian killed in an attack by Boko Haram

International desk
World
attack by Boko Haram
At least six soldiers have been killed in an attack by militant group Boko Haram on a military base in northern Cameroon. Four more army personnel were injured in that incident. The incident took place in Sagme area near the Nigerian border around 4 am local time on Saturday. The state-run television channel CRTV quoted AFP as saying.

"At around 4am, Boko Haram fighters came in six vehicles and attacked CRTV," Bakari Midziawa, the governor of northern Cameroon, told CRTV. We learned that six of our soldiers had been killed in clashes with them. Four more soldiers were injured.

However, a police source said that the number of army personnel killed was eight, citing several local sources. Two military sources told Reuters the same information on condition of anonymity.

The militant group has stepped up attacks in the area since the death of former Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, local authorities said.

Lazar Endongo, head of the Northern District Administration, told Reuters that the number of attacks had increased since Abubakar's death. The region was previously under Boko Haram. It was later taken over by the terrorist organization Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP).

Boko Haram and ISWAP militants have killed more than 36,000 people in Cameroon and neighboring countries since 2009, AFP reported. In northeastern Nigeria alone, more than two million people have been displaced by attacks by these two groups.

Voice TV/IA
Latest News