Printed on Mon Sep 26 2022 9:06:35 AM

Death toll from Brazil mudslides rose 117

International desk
World
Brazil mudslides
The death toll rose to 117 from heavy rains and mudslides in Petropolis in Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro state, according to authorities.

At least 54 homes have been destroyed and 370 people are being housed in shelters, according to a report by Brazilian news.

It was also reported that 13 of those brought to the Forensic Medicine Institute were mostly women and children while at least 33 people's identity was revealed.

Speaking to reporters from the flood-hit area, Rio de Janeiro State Governor Claudio Castro said the region was exposed to its heaviest rainfall since 1932.

Castro said he expects that social assistance will be provided to victims until next week to buy furniture and household goods.

He said earlier that the situation resembled a "war zone” with cars hanging from poles and streets filled with mud and water.

Nearly 500 firefighters have taken part in search and rescue efforts in the region and rescued 24 people, while 134 are still reported missing, though authorities have yet to determine an official number.

Authorities have declared a “state of disaster” in the region and urged residents in risky areas to go to places used as shelters.

Due to the disaster, many schools and universities were turned into support points where the homeless were sheltered and aid provided to the needy.

Authorities said Tuesday that Petropolis saw enough precipitation in six hours for the entire month of February.

More than 900 people died in a flooding tragedy in the city back in 2011 and more than 100 others went missing.
Latest News