Printed on Sun Aug 07 2022 6:56:02 PM

Building collapse death toll in Nigeria rose to 36

International Desk
World
Building collapse
The death toll from a multi-storey building collapse in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital, has risen to 36.

Many people are still missing. The country's emergency services said on Thursday.

Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, general manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, said the dead included 33 men and three women. He also said that nine people have been rescued alive so far.

The state government suspended construction of the building earlier this year after "abnormalities" were noticed in the collapsed building.

Lagos State Deputy Governor Femi Hamzat said work on the 21-storey building was halted last June.

Recently workers were allowed to work. It is not clear whether the accident took place in the area under construction.

However, the deputy governor did not say why the infrastructural construction work was stopped. But the head of the Lagos State Building Control Agency said substandard materials were used in the construction of the building, which was horrific.

It is learned that Four Score Home Limited was constructing the building by planning a housing scheme. They are also working on various projects in the United Kingdom, the United States, South Africa, and other parts of Nigeria.

Voice TV/IA
Latest News