Printed on Mon May 16 2022 7:41:38 AM

Death toll rose to 53 after attack on Burkina Faso security post

International Desk
World
Burkina Faso
The death toll from a gun attack on an army checkpoint in the West African country of Burkina Faso has risen to 53.

Initially, 20 people were reported killed in the attack.

The attack took place at a military police checkpoint near the northern Inata gold mine, Burkina Faso's government spokeswoman Ouseni Tambora said on Wednesday.

According to the latest information, 53 people were killed in the attack. The dead included 49 military police officers and four civilians.

Earlier in the day, 20 people were killed and 32 injured in what became known as the Cold War. That information was corrected on Wednesday, bringing the death toll to 53.

Ouseni Tambora said 46 military police officers were rescued alive from the scene after the attack. Shortly afterward, Burkina Faso's security minister, Maxime Kone, described the attack as "barbaric and cowardly."

Since 2015, Burkina Faso has been battling a growing number of attacks by armed militia groups. Most of these armed groups are linked to the militant group's Al Qaeda and IS. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

In recent years, there has been an increase in attacks by militants linked to the militant group Al Qaeda and Islamic State across large areas of Burkina Faso, Niger, and Mali.

As a result, millions of ordinary people have been evicted from their homes in the Sahel region of West Africa. Thousands of civilians have been killed in these attacks and violence.

Voice TV/IA
Latest News