Printed on Wed Aug 10 2022 4:40:10 PM

Death toll from Pakistani Airstrike rises to 47: Afghan Officials

International Desk
World
Pakistani Airstrike
The death toll from Pakistani military air strikes in the eastern Afghanistan provinces of Khost and Kunar has jumped to at least 47, officials said, as Islamabad urged Kabul to act against militants launching attacks from Afghan soil.

Border tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan have risen since the Taliban seized power last year, with Islamabad claiming militant groups are carrying out regular attacks from Afghan soil.

The Taliban deny harbouring Pakistani militants, but are also infuriated by a fence Islamabad is erecting along their 2,700-kilometre border.

"Forty-one civilians, mainly women and children, were killed and 22 others were wounded in air strikes by Pakistani forces near the Durand line in Khost province," Shabir Ahmad Osmani, director of information and culture in Khost told.

Najibullah, an official with the Ministry for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice in Khost said the death toll in the province was 47.

"Twenty-four people were killed from one family itself," he told.

Jamshid, a tribal leader from Khost, also confirmed that the death toll was more than 40.

"I went yesterday with several people to donate blood for treating the wounded in Khost strike," Jamshid said.
Latest News